May 10, 2016

Rockhounding Basics

Fun family event: Rockhounding 101 at the Eddy Discovery Center.
My children and I have really gotten into rock-hounding the past few years. So much so, that on any given beach you will find rocks in our pockets, in backpacks, wrapped in blankets and sometimes in our shoes! The goal is now to find the BEST rock of a specific kind. 

I have actually found a lot pleasure in collecting specimens and learning to identify them. Gliding my fingers across their rough surface or enjoying the cool smoothness. It is soothing and exhilarating.  I have gotten so good in fact that I now am a merit badge counselor for Boy Scouts and have several presentations that I have delivered to the school my children attend (sometimes not even to their classes!). It's a hobby I have really enjoyed and my son's principal has actually asked me to submit to be a substitute teacher after seeing one of the presentations. 

Certainly I have had this love since I was a small child. My grandpa had a huge rock tumbler in his basement and I will forever remember him showing me rocks fresh from the tumbler. My love of rocks was rekindled though when my kids and I attended a free event at the Eddy Discovery Center.

The next Rockhound Basics course will be held on Sunday, May 22, at 2:00 p.m. Families will discover what you can learn about ancient Michigan from looking at a rock, walk along the rock walk at the Eddy Discovery Center ( 17030 Bush Rd., Chelsea, MI 48118) and get to pick the brain of area geologist Larry Bean. You will even learn how to “read” the story told by rocks and help you to identify specimens at a local quarry. 

Meet at the Discovery Center before driving to the quarry to do some collecting. Advance registration is requested at 734-475-3170. Cost: $2 per person/$5 per family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment