November 5, 2009

Disinfect to protect!

A few weeks ago I posted a fun at-home activity to help families teach proper hand washing to prevent illness. I also ran across another fun "retro-style" video from the American Chemistry Council and the Water Quality and Health Council (WQHC) on disinfection for prevention. it's called "The Secret Life of Bleach" and features one of Ann Arbor's own, Dr. Ursula Jakob, LSA Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology at the University of Michigan.


Did you know that the flu virus can live for hours - even days in some cases - on surfaces we touch all the time: counter tops, doorknobs, phone receivers, keyboards, desktop surfaces, remote controls, and more... Don't want to think about that really, I KNOW my munchkins were on my computer today, yet I'm unsure what ELSE they may have been up to... Research shows however, that cleaning these surfaces with products containing bleach is better in reducing viral infections, like the flu, than other antibacterial products!

So consider the one-two punch of proper hand-washing, immunization and cleaning hard surfaces with bleach - maybe your family can be one of the many lucky families to avoid major issues this winter! I want as few friends and family members getting ill, so I'll be sure to spread the word to let my voice be heard - Don't forget tp disinfect this season...

No comments:

Post a Comment