April 26, 2010

Getting Children Into the Garden - Gardening Classes at The Produce Station

One of my earliest memories of my grandparents is spending time with them in the garden. I especially liked picking asparagus, strawberries, corn, carrots, squash, tomatoes, and raspberries - OK really nothing the grew in there was beyond my plucking or picking and immediately crunching down within my teeth, dirt and all. Nothing tastes as good as home grown goods warmed gently in the sun!

I suppose that is where my love of gardening came from. It's no surprising that the first outdoor project I finished in my first new home was a garden, and it was no surprising that I introduced my children to the garden even before they could walk. During the summer months there aren't many days that go by where one of my children isn't out snagging something from the garden - Even today my daughter and I enjoyed munching on some of our earliest breakfast radishes!

Not everyone I know however is able to pass along this knowledge. I can't even begin to count the number of friends who ask for my help to get their kids started... Many too are amazed that my kids eat almost anything, and laugh when I explain that the kids and I often race out there to see who gets to eat whatever is growing first...

However if you happen to fall into that category, the one that just doesn't know how to start your kids gardening education fear not, The Produce Station has gardening classes for even the youngest green thumbs!

Beginning in early May, children ages 5-11 have many gardening class options including the following.

Gardening classes for children ages 5-7
Cost: $5.00 each

Sunday, May 2: 3-4 p.m. and Friday, May 7: 4:30-5:30 p.m. - Plant a Gift that Mom will Love! Children will plant a beautiful green friendly sustainable flower pot for mom on her special day and create a Mother’s Day card using stamps made with fruits and vegetables to go with the gift. Children will also receive a $5.00 Produce Station Card for attending the class.

Sunday, May 16: 3-4 p.m. - The Edible Garden for Kids! Hey kids, learn about planting, what makes up soil, and plant tomatoes and peppers. Each child will take home a mini planted garden and information on how to care for it!

Sunday, May 23: 3-4 p.m. - Herb Gardening for Kids! Children will plant a mini herb garden and find out about many different herbs and their uses. This class also includes a yummy taste testing of food using fresh herbs, such as strawberry mint lemonade and basil pesto and breadsticks!

Sunday, June 6: 3-4 p.m. - Beautiful Butterflies! Kids will learn how to plant a garden that will attract beautiful butterflies and plant a zinnia to take home.

Sunday, June 13 and Friday June 18: 3-4 p.m. - Peppers for Pops. Spice up Father’s Day by planting some spicy peppers in a green friendly sustainable pot. Learn how to make salsa and create a Father’s Day card using stamps made with fruits and vegetables to go with your gift. Children will also receive a $5.00 Produce Station Card for attending the class.

Children ages 8-11 may also participate in The Produce Station Children’s Community Garden Classes each Saturday from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. The cost is $35/Child for participation in all classes and is limited to 15 children per gardening class.

The Children’s Community Garden aims to provide garden education to children in order to nurture children's awareness, confidence and connections to the natural world, promote healthy food practices, and foster hands-on, lifelong learning. For more information on specific Saturday themes for the Children's Community Garden, be sure to check out the produce Station website.

No comments:

Post a Comment